the Apple watch’s Apple’s first new category of device in five years and there’s a lot riding on its success, at the moment of its arrival the market is already brimming with SmartWatch competition, but as usual Apple is confident about doing things its own way .
the company says this is its most personal device yet and we agree, Apple products have been synonymous with premium quality for ages now and this SmartWatch is no exception .
the watch unibody consists of a top layer of ion X or sapphire glass that curves to meet the casing which can be aluminium stainless steel or even gold depending on the model .
there are three distinct models Apple watch sport, Apple watch and Apple watch edition, the design features no sharp edges and everything is slightly curved culminating in an unmistakable iPhone 6 appearance .
the bottom plate of the Apple watch houses four sensors which measure your heart rate, it’s also a place you connect the inductive charger .
the heart rate sensor uses infrared as well as LEDs to accurately track your pulse, there are just two physical controls in the Apple watch, the favorites key which takes you to favorite contacts and a digital crown which is a precise scrolling too that doubles as an ok or exit button .
a book has included a tiny speaker and a microphone on the Apple watch too, so you could take calls on it, the speaker quality is excellent though it is quiet for even moderately noisy environments . Read More : Apple iPhone X Review
then there’s the watch band, the Apple watch sport chips with 2 band sizes inside the box, you can always pick up an extra one and swap it in changing bands is as simple as it gets .
we have the chance to test both the smaller 38 millimeter model and the larger 42 millimeter, both provide the same user experience and besides the slightly larger battery and screen the bigger one doesn’t have any other real advantages .
we did find the 42 millimeter one a better match for men’s wrists but it’s still one carrier to people that prefer truly big watches .
watch purists will surely frown in the non circular shape of the Apple watch but in the course of a few weeks we became accustomed to it .
one of the hallmarks of the watch itself is the beautiful AMOLED screen on the front, it comes in two sizes and slightly varying resolutions but both models Rock the same 326 pixel density .
on vapers stuff aside this is one of the best SmartWatch displace up there, it’s crisp and sharp with deep blacks and bland in with a black glass surf and has puffin collars, the screen also gets very bright so outdoor uses no problem . Read More : Apple iPhone XR Review
the Apple watch will have it screen off by default but will promptly light up when you raise it to look at it, Apple has included a number of watch faces for its Smart Watch but we hope third-party ones will be coming soon .
by using force touch on the screen apples lingo for a longer press you can customize the watch faces, you can change different elements of watch face by scrolling in the digital crown but the UI is hardly as intuitive .
underneath the watch face lies the Apple watch’s home screen, it’s a honeycomb-like structure of circular app icons that you can navigate with the digital crown or by finger .
you can also reorder it on the watch but we found that to be an easier task on the iphone companion app where changes for instantaneous .
Apple watch runs on its own platform called watch OS and centerpiece is the watch face itself but a swipe will take you into glances, a list of your watch apps and a few connectivity tiles . Read More : Apple iPhone XS Max Review
you’ll find the activity app here as well as the weather app and calendar, you can even reorder these apps from the watch app on the iPhone .
the activity app summarizes your walking running and standing and shows your burned calories and the walk distance, when you get into your favorite contacts on the Apple watch it will automatically detect if the person you’ve selected has an Apple watch and allow you to send specific smiley faces animations and movies .
what’s cooler is you can send drawings slide tabs on the wrist and even your own heartbeat, however those were very slow to actually go through the other side and on testing .
since those are a gimmick yet best we would doubt anyone would actually use them for communication, Siri sets the stage for voice actions on watch OS, you can invoke the assistant with the press and hold on the crown or through the hey Siri keyword .
as usual serial answer enter end queries and perform tasks on the Apple watch just like on the iPhone, the Apple watch tracks your heart rate to calculate burn calories and for precise monitoring during exercising .
when you’re not using the activity app the Apple watch will normally check your heart rate every 10 minutes or so, as expected the Apple watch will display incoming notifications and give you the option to act on them . Read More : Apple iPhone Review
one of the cooler features of the Apple watch is the iPhone camera more control, we could see this as a great way to take selfies with your iPhone .
we were pleasantly surprised with the battery life of the Apple watch, while using it’s animated watch faces notifications working out 45 minutes and getting our heart rate checked some 300 times, the Apple watch was able to last the entire day .
with a non animated watch face and less usage we could get around 6 hours more out of it and around 6 more when we disabled completely the heart rate tracking .
charging is very convenient on the Apple watch, thanks to the magnetic coupling attaching the charges to the Apple watch is quick and easy .
charging a deflated watch to 100% takes about 3 hours, there are perhaps a lot of things that could have been better about the Apple watch, one thing’s for sure there is still plenty of kinks in need of hiring out .
but that’s true for any first generation device where the most part would say this is a very good first attempt, though it will take a considerably better effort by able to turn smart watches and its next big thing . Read More : Apple iPhone 3GS Review
will have been more forgiving if it wasn’t for the exorbitant pricing that feels like a genuine ripoff, iPhone users hardly have any other viable SmartWatch alternatives and Apple is making the most out of that .
while Android wear smartwatches are getting cheaper in an effort to get as many users on board as possible, it looks like Apple is only after snatching a heavy markup without offering a comparatively better SmartWatch experience or richer functionality .
of course you don’t always need to base your purchase and reason, sometimes you got a folder wrote your heart takes you on and if you do go this road don’t forget to send us that excited heartbeat of yours . Read More : Apple iPhone 4 Review
Apple Watch Sport Key Features
- Microphone and speaker, vibration .
- Digital crown control, wireless charging .
- NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n; Apple Pay support .
- 8GB internal storage (2GB available for music, 75MB for photos) .
- Apple Watch : Stainless steel casing, Sapphire protective glass .
- Apple Watch Sport : Aluminum casing, Ion-X protective glass .
- 38mm : 1.34″ AMOLED capacitive display, 272 x 340 pixels, 326ppi .
- 42mm : 1.54″ AMOLED capacitive display, 312 x 390 pixels, 326ppi .
- Apple S1 chip, APL0778 CPU, PowerVR SGX543 GPU, 512MB RAM .
- 205mAh Li-Ion battery on the 38mm, rated at 18-24 hours of usage .
- IPX7 certified for waterproofing (submersion officially not recommended) .
- 38 mm : 38.6 x 33.3 x 10.5/12.3 mm, 25g Sport Watch weight, 40g Steel Watch weight .
- 42 mm : 42 x 35.9 x 10.5/12.6 mm, 30g Sport Watch weight, 50g Steel Watch weight .
- Force Touch Sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, heart rate sensor, ambient light sensor .
- Bands : Silicon, Classic Buckle, Modern buckle, Milanese Loop, Leather Loop, Stainless Steel Link .
Apple Watch Sport Main Disadvantages
- Works only with an iPhone 5 or later .
- Rather pricey and very limited availability .
- 18h rated battery life suggests daily charging .
- Screen isn’t always on, relies on wrist turn gesture .
- It will only sync music with your phone when it’s on a charger .
- No sleep tracking (though your watch will most probably be on its charger while you sleep)
Apple Watch Sport Key Test Findings
- Bluetooth hands-free connections need a crucial fix .
- There is a limited number of watchfaces and app support at launch .
- Excellent for fitness tracking, though you will need your iPhone for precise GPS tracking .
- Both the smaller and bigger AMOLED displays have great contrast and sunlight legibility .
- The Watch OS is great with excellent integration with the iPhone, though it needs further tweaking .
- You will need to recharge every night, but you should be able to make it through a day almost always .
- You’ll probably need to buy a second more stylish and comfy band if you opted for the cheaper Sport model .
- Build quality is top notch, regardless whether its Aluminum + Ion-X, Steel + Sapphire or Gold + Sapphire glass .
Disclaimer : We can not guarantee that the information on this page is 100% correct
Specification: Apple Watch Sport 38mm (1st gen)
No cellular connectivity
Available. Released 2015, April
38.6 x 33.3 x 10.5 mm (1.52 x 1.31 x 0.41 in)
25 g body (2.19 oz)
IPX7 water resistant up to 1 meter and 30 minutes
OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
1.5 inches, 7.1 cm2 (~55.1% screen-to-body ratio)
340 x 272 pixels (~290 ppi density)
Ion-X strengthened glass
|Other screen features||
3D Touch display, 450 nits
watchOS 1.0, upgradable to 4.3.2
Apple S1 (28 nm)
520 MHz Cortex-A7
|Memory Card Slot||
8 GB, 512 MB RAM
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Accelerometer, gyro, heart rate, MP3 player, Photo viewer, Siri natural language commands and dictation
Non-removable Li-Ion 205 mAh battery (0.78 Wh)
Up to 18 h (mixed usage)
Silver/White, Orange, Blue; Gray/Black; Rose Gold/Lavender, Stone; Gold/White, Blue, Yellow, Apricot, Royal Blue, Pink/Royal Blue/Gold&Red/Black Woven Nylon
About 250 EUR